It must be recognized that the Windows 10 operating system has improved considerably not only in terms of performance and use but also in the aspect of security. However, this does not mean that the Microsoft OS is free of vulnerabilities. In fact, yesterday those responsible for Windows 10 had to confirm a new security flaw.
Related: Create automatic file backups (Windows 10)
Almost without realizing it, thousands of Windows 10 computers could be infected with malware just by downloading a silple file. After the file is downloaded in Windows file explorer, the file will automatically open for preview.
Microsoft announced this security hole just yesterday, March 23, 2020. The computer giant comments that it is aware of this type of attack, reporting that they use a breach in the Adobe Type Manager library. There are a number of ways a hacker can exploit the vulnerability, such as convincing a user to open a specially crafted document or simply viewing it in the Windows preview pane.
This vulnerability in the security of your computer affects all versions of Windows active today: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 and various versions of Windows Server.
From Microsoft they assure that they are already working on a new update that will include a security patch to solve this security hole. However, they have also offered an alternative thanks to the current one we can protect our Windows 10 computer from this security hole. Here’s how to do it:
How to protect your Windows 10 computer from security vulnerability related to: Adobe Type Manager library
Actually, what we should do is disable the Preview and Details of the files in the Windows 10 File Explorer interface. In this way Windows will not automatically show the previews of the OTF source files and therefore will be protected from this type of attack.
1. Open the Windows File Explorer.
2. In the Explorer interface you must click on the section: VIEW.
3. Now you will have to make sure that both the “Preview pane” As the “Details panel”Are disabled. (Click on it to remove the shading)
4. Line followed you will have to click on the button: Options
5. In the new window you will have to select the section: WATCH
6. Scroll down the list of options until you find: Always show icon, never seen in thumbnails.
7. Make sure this option is checked.
8. Finally click on the button To accept to save the changes made.
Important note: It should be noted that with this method we will be able to avoid infections automatically by preventing Windows from executing a malicious file to show the preview of it. However, you can still infect your Windows 10 computer if you open the files manually. That is why we recommend that you do not open any doubtful or unknown files.