On your Windows 10 computer, you surely store more or less important files as well as files that you do not want to be deleted under any circumstances. However, nobody assures you that by mistake or by other users, your files cannot be deleted. Is there a possibility to protect my files so that they cannot be deleted from my Windows 10 computer?
Related: How to hide files and folders in Windows 10
The answer is yes, in addition this may be something really necessary, especially on computers that are shared with more than one user or that do not have the protection of the login screen. Also in Windows 10 you can not only protect files against deletion but also folders. In this way you will protect all the files that this folder may contain.
If you have personal or professional folders or files of great importance, it does not hurt to be able to protect them against deletion or elimination to avoid any unforeseen or surprise. Thanks to the functions offered by Microsoft operating systems we can protect any file or folder, in fact this tutorial will be useful in Windows 10/8/7.
That said, in this tutorial we show you how to protect any file or folder on your Windows 10 computer so that they cannot be deleted / erased:
Method 1: Prevent files or folders from being deleted from your Windows 10 computer using folder properties.
– Right click on the file or folder you want to protect and in the context menu select: Properties.
– In the window that opens, you should go to the Security tab.
– Once here you will have to click on the Edit button.
– This will open a new window in which you will have to select the user account that is active (or the user account for which you want to prevent me from deleting these files or folders).
– At the bottom uncheck the boxes for the options: Full control and Modify in the Allow column. If you wish, you can also check the boxes for these two options in the column Deny.
– Finally click on the button To accept to save the settings.
Method 2: Prevent the deletion of files and folders in Windows 10 using the command line.
Thanks to this method you can create a folder with through an elevated command prompt. The limitation given to the folder created through the elevated command prompt is that it cannot be found by searching for it. You can only move files from one side to the other using the move command. The procedure is the next:
– Open the CMD (Command Prompt) as administrator.
– When you go to the CMD you must write the letter of the drive in which you want to create the protected folder. For example: D:
– Once we find the desired letter you will have to execute the following command:
– This will create the folder “with” which you will not be able to access through Windows file explorer.
– If for any reason you want to delete said folder “with” you will have to do it from the same CMD with administrator rights using the following command:
– This method works only for folders and not for files. And Remember that to move folders to or from this folder you can only do it using the move command from the CMD.
Leave a Reply