As we have shown you in Downloadsource.es, the Windows 10 operating system has the new function: “Isolated Space (Windows Sandbox)”. This really is nothing more than a virtual machine included by default in Windows 10 and that allows users to run any program without putting your original computer or operating system at risk.
Related: How to safely run dangerous programs in Windows 10 thanks to Sandbox (Windows Sandbox)
However, to make use of this function or of any virtualization program such as Virtualbox, it is necessary to allow said virtualization at the hardware level, usually from the BIOS or UEFI. Most new computers have this feature but there are two types depending on your processor: Intel VT-X and AMD-V. Intel VT-X is a hardware virtualization that is built into computers with Intel technology, while AMD-V is for computers that have an AMD CPU. Also, both are compatible with 64-bit virtual machines.
If you do not have this aspect very clear, you should know that any user can know if your computer is compatible with Intel VT-X or AMD-V. However, although the type of hardware virtualization that your computer supports is not important in its operation, if you want to know if your computer has Intel VT-X or AMD-V activated or not, you should know that there are several methods to know him.
Having said this, below we want to show you step by step how to know if virtualization is activated on your Windows 10 computer as well as to know the type of virtualization that your PC has:
How to know if my Windows 10 computer has virtualization enabled.
– Make use of the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
– When the Task Manager you should go to the tab performance and select the CPU section on the left side of the window.
– In the lower right part of the section, you can see the option: Virtualization. This should show as enabled, which means that it is enabled.
How to know the type of virtualization my Windows 10 computer has (Intel VT-X or AMD-V)
– The simplest way to find out if your computer’s virtualization is Intel VT-X or AMD-V, is to know the type of processor your computer has. To do this you will have to use the keyboard shortcut: Windows key + X.
– Now you will have to select the option System from the drop down menu.
– This will open the section About inside of Setting Windows 10.
– Here you will see the section: Device Specifications. Below it you can see the type of processor.
How to check if your computer has Intel VT-X
Access Windows search and enter the following search term: System information.
After carrying out the search, you must select the option shown to open a new window.
In this window you will have to locate the section: Processor.
This will be where you will find all the information related to your computer’s processor. Don’t forget to copy the name of your processor.
Now you will have to go to the official Intel website, which you can do from the following link: Intel Processor Web.
Here you will have to use the model of your processor, to perform a search for it.
When all the processor specifications are displayed on the screen, you should use the section on the left side of the screen: Advanced technologies.
That will show you all the related details among which you should look at: Virtualization Technology.
Here you should see the word YES next to the option: Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x) ‡
How to check if your computer has AMD-V
It is difficult to understand this clearly as there is no clear section on the AMD website contrary to what is the case with Intel. The only utility available through which you can find out if you have AMD-V will be by downloading and running the official tool: AMD-V with utility to check RVI Hyper V compatibility.
Leave a Reply