Windows 10, like other operating systems, has a similar dynamic of use in which one of the most important part is the Desktop and its shortcuts. On the desktop we can place the icons that give us access to the desired programs as well as specific files for quick opening.
Related: How to fix: Icons are missing from the Windows 10 desktop.
By default, the icons (shortcuts and files) located on the desktop of our Windows 10 computer can be moved around the entire desktop as well as change their order. However, sometimes this freedom of configuration and movement of the desktop icons is blocked, preventing them from being moved.
This problem is usually more common than we could imagine, so it is not uncommon to find the impossibility of moving the icons from the desktop of your Windows 10 computer. The most common thing is to try to drag an icon from the desktop to any other place on the desktop. . The problem occurs when the icon instead of staying in the new position, it automatically returns to the same initial position, that is, Windows 10 automatically organizes the icons on your desktop.
If you cannot move desktop icons or shortcuts in Windows 10, in this tutorial you will find possible solutions to this problem:
How to fix: I can’t move desktop icons in Windows 10
Method 1: Check your mouse or Touchpad
1. Open a text editor and write something in the new document.
2. Now select the text with the mouse cursor.
3. Make use of the right and left mouse button.
4. You can also scroll up and down to test the mouse wheel.
5. If all the buttons work, your mouse or touchpad is correct so to solve the problem you will have to try the other methods shown below.
Method 2: Turn off automatic icon arrangement.
In 99% of cases the problem is due to a Windows 10 desktop configuration which you must revert as follows:
1. Go to the Windows desktop and right-click on an empty area.
2. In the contextual menu you will have to go to the option: Watch
3. This will reveal a sub-menu in which you will have to uncheck the option: Organize icons automatically.
When the auto-arrange option is on, the icons will automatically hold their positions as soon as you try to move them.
Method 3: Uninstall any desktop organizer software
In the market there are programs that allow you to organize or personalize your desktop in a personalized way, however these programs make the default options of the Windows 10 operating system are disabled, preventing, for example, the movement of the desktop icons to the desired place.
To solve the problem in this case you will have to uninstall said program:
1. Here you access: Apps> Apps and Features
2. Now a list of installed programs will be displayed. Locate and click the one you want to uninstall.
3. This will display the option: Uninstall.
4. After uninstalling this program, check if you can now move the desktop icons.
Method 4: Restore the default values of the folders.
1. Open Windows File Explorer.
2. Once here at the top of the window, go to the tab: Sight.
3. Now in the toolbar you will have to click on: Options
4. This opens a window in which you will have to go to the tab: general
5. Here you just have to click the button: Restore defaults
6. In the tab Watch in Folder Options, click the button Reset folders
7. Here you will also have to click the button: Restore defaults.
8. Finally, to confirm the changes, click on: To accept.
Method 5: Change the screen resolution.
1. Use the keyboard shortcut Windows Key + I to open Setting.
2. Here you have to go to the option: System> Display
3. In the central part of the screen you have to scroll down to the option: Screen resolution.
Method 6: Resize the desktop icons.
If there are many icons on the desktop and their size is large, then those icons cover the entire desktop. In which case you won’t be able to move the desktop icons. So, just resize the icons:
Hold down the Ctrl key and at the same time move the wheel of your mouse to decrease the size of the icons until there is a free space on your desktop.
Method 7: Disable the option that makes themes can change the icons on your desktop.
It is possible that some theme installed on your Windows 10 computer is causing the problem that prevents moving the desktop icons. To do this, follow the following steps:
1. Open Windows 10 settings.
2. Go to the option: Personalization
3. Line followed you will have to select the section: Topics.
4. Now in the central part of the screen you have to click on: Desktop Icon Settings.
5. When a sale is shown you will have to uncheck the option box: Allow themes to change desktop icons.
Method 8: Update graphics driver
Finally, the problem may be due to the graphics drivers on your Windows 10 computer not being updated to the latest version. If you do not know how to do this, in the following link you will find how to do it: How to update any driver in Windows 10. (Audio, video, wifi drivers …)