Everyone knows how to play a video in the popular VLC Player. However, sometimes we would like to play more than one video at a time in order for example to be able to compare them or simply to view each video on a different screen. However, by default this option is not activated so we will have to do it manually.
Related: How to prevent the VLC window from resizing.
The problem with many video players for Windows 10 is that they prevent multiple videos from playing at the same time. This is basically because the usual players only allow the playback of several videos in the same instance, so the videos will be played one at a time.
However, in this tutorial we want to show you how to play several videos in several instances of the player, or what is the same, play several videos on several different screens of the same playback program. In this way you will not have to use more than one playback program to achieve this type of playback.
As we have mentioned, this will allow you, for example, to play several different videos on screen connected to your Windows 10 computer thanks to VLC.
That said, below we show you step by step how to use VLC to play several videos at the same time in different windows:
How to play 2 or more videos on multiple windows / screens at the same time.
– Open VLC and then click Tools> Preferences (Ctrl + P)> Interface
– In the Playlist and instances section you must uncheck the box that says: Allow only one instance.
– Finally click on the Save button.
– If you do not have this option enabled and you still cannot open videos in the same instance, then it is because the option: Use only one instance when starting from file manager.
– Uncheck this box as well and don’t forget to save the settings and now you can use more than one VLC window to play multiple videos at the same time.
Another method to play multiple video files in different windows of the VCL player but at the same time to be able to compare them second by second.
– Open the VLC program and in the menu go to: Media> Open multiple files …
– Add the first file and then click Show more options and then check Play other media synchronously
– Once located in the File tab and click the Add button to add the first file.
– Repeat this operation with a second video file.
– Finally you will have to click on the Play button and this will make the two multimedia files play simultaneously and the player controls in a single window.
How to disable multiple instance mode in VLC Player
– While playing multiple videos can sometimes be very useful, but sometimes it can also get annoying. As an example, if you are opening videos one by one and you don’t want so many video playback windows to appear.
– To undo the changes, you will have to repeat the steps shown in the first method.
– Open VLC> Tools> Preferences> Interface
– Here you will have to make sure that the boxes of the two options are checked:
- Allow only one instance.
- Use only one instance when starting from file manager.
Note: If you want to use the playback mode in a single instance, we recommend that you also activate the option: Queue Objects in Playlist in Single Instance Mode.
This will make that when we click on more than one video to play them in the same VLC window, these videos will be placed as a playlist. When the first video finishes playing, the second video will play and so on. To activate the playlist display, go to: View> Pinned Playlist.
Leave a Reply