It is known to all that many are those who share their individual Netflix account with other people. Netflix only limits the number of screens that play content at the same time depending on the contracted plan. However, Netflix does not have different restrictions regarding the number of profiles that can be created within an account regardless of the contracted plan (5 profiles per account).
Related: How to watch Netflix series and movies with friends or family | on-line
All these profiles can have access to your Netflix Basic Premium or Standard account. However, this has a great disadvantage in terms of privacy since any of the users of the profiles will have access to your history of series or movies that you have viewed. Fortunately, Netflix incorporates the ability to protect your profile with a password.
This Netflix privacy “problem” not only affects individual (basic) accounts, but also affects Premium and Standard since profiles can be created in all possible plans. That is, any profile has access to the private information of the other profiles created within an account.
However, as we have mentioned, below we show you step by step how to protect any profile of a Netflix account using a PIN. In this way, users of other profiles will not be able to know data such as your viewing history.
How to put a password or PIN to your Netflix profile.
1. Open Netflix.com in your web browser.
2. Log into your Netflix account with your username and password.
3. Access your profile within the Netflix account
4. Click on the profile picture in the upper right corner
5. In the menu select the option: Account
6. On the settings page scroll down and click on your profile.
7. This will bring up several options, among which you must click on: Profile lock.
8. This takes you to a new screen where you must enter the Netflix account password as a security measure before you can set a PIN for your profile.
9. After clicking on continue you will be placed in a screen where you will have to check the box: Require a PIN to access the ***** profile.
10. This will show the field where you will have to enter 4 numeric digits.
11. Finally, to confirm the PIN, all you have to do is click Save.
12. From now on, both you and any other user of the Netflix account want to access your profile, you will have to enter the newly configured PIN.
Notably, PIN-protected Netflix profiles will display a lock icon below the profile in the profile chooser.
Important Note: The PIN will not be required automatically the next time you visit Netflix if your profile has already been selected. If you want to block the profile, click on your profile icon in the upper right corner and select the ‘Exit profile’ option. When you have done this, the profile will be locked. To access it again, you must enter the PIN.
Although this feature is really useful, it has its limitations. The PIN is not independent of the account password. This means that anyone who has the password for the account can reset the PIN and if everyone with a locked profile has the password, the PIN may not be very effective, although the user of the protected profile will know that someone has been snooping.
This in turn also means that if only one person has the password for the Netflix account, only they can set the PINs and know the PIN for each account. This can be used as parental control. In this way you can use it to keep your profile safe from the smallest of the family, except whoever is the owner of the account.
Leave a Reply