WhatsApp groups can be a blessing or torture depending on the use we make of them, as well as the participants of that group. Currently WhatsApp allows a maximum of up to 256 users. This can cause the group to get out of control and the administrator to lose control over said WhatsApp group. In most cases the users participating in a group invite other users and it may happen that the administrator of said group, finally, does not know a large part of the participants.
Related: How to create a newsgroup or broadcast on WhatsApp | Only admin can post.
Until now, WhatsApp will not include any configuration that would limit invitations to WhatsApp Groups, that is, any user who belonged to a specific group could add other users to the WhatsApp group. This is what allowed groups to get out of control and that WhatsApp users who did not want to be invited, finally are.
Furthermore, this lack of control over who can invite participants to the WhatsApp group has been used by political parties in their electoral strategies. Basically the strategy consists of creating a WhatsApp group owned by said political party (in many cases a bot). Once the group is created, the administrator is dedicated to massively inviting other users up to a maximum of 256 members. From this moment on, the content published in said group will contain a very marked bias with the ideas of said political party and will basically be dedicated to spamming the participants with their ideas.
Well, now WhatsApp allows you to control and limit which members of a WhatsApp group can or cannot add you to that group. In this way you will have a much more restrictive control of who can invite you to a WhatsApp group:
How to control who can add you to WhatsApp groups.
– The function that allows limiting who can add participants to a WhatsApp group is now available for both Android and iOS users, although the function is being progressively activated.
– To activate the limitation of who can add users to WhatsApp groups you will have to access the WhatsApp app (update it to the latest version)
Once inside go to: Settings / Configuration> Account> Privacy> Groups
– In this configuration screen you will find 3 options to select:
- Nobody: If you select this setting, No WhatsApp user will be able to invite you or add you to a Whatspapp group. This is the most restrictive.
- My contacts: If you check this option, you should view, only the contacts in your agenda can invite you to the WhatsApp groups to which they belong.
- Everyone: This option is identical to how WhatsApp invitations worked until now. Any user can invite you to a group just by having your phone number in their database.
From this moment on, when a user wants to add you to a WhatsApp group, they must send an invitation privately instead of being added automatically. This invitation may be accepted or rejected by the user without anyone knowing what their decision has been.
Leave a Reply