If you are a regular user of Skype, you will surely have important information distributed in all your chats. This information can be valuable and therefore you don’t want to lose it. However like any other software, the possibility of data or information loss is always present. This means that there is always the risk of losing our Skype chats and therefore losing all the information shared here.
Related: How to share screen with the Skype app (Android and iPhone)
Skype has a huge number of functions, however it does not provide any option in its interface to be able to make a backup copy of the Chats and all the messages sent and received. However, this does not mean that we cannot back up your Skype chats.
Thanks to the creation of a backup copy of the Skype chats we will be sure to keep all the messages sent and received up to that moment. Now you will not have to worry about losing your chats if you uninstall the Skype program or if your computer is infected with a virus that could force you to format your computer.
As if that were not enough, thanks to this backup, you will not only keep your Skype chats safe, but you will also be able to migrate or transfer your Skype chats to any other computer where you have never used your Skype account.
Having said that, below we want to show you in detail how to make a backup copy of Skype messages:
How to create a backup of your Skype chats (computer)
– Open the Run tool which you can do using the keyboard shortcut: Windows key + R
– When the Run tool is displayed, you must enter the following command and press Enter:
– This will open a specific location in Windows Explorer. Here you will have to click on the folder that has your Skype username, in order to access it.
– Once inside the folder you must locate the main.db file. Copy this file and paste it onto a USB stick.
Note: It is important that to increase security and be sure not to lose your Skype chat history, it is advisable to save this backup on an external storage device, since if you leave it on your computer’s hard drive and be forced to format it, you will lose all your chats anyway.
Alternative: Create backup of Skype chats automatically.
– Open your computer’s Web browser and go to the following link: Skype chat backup. Sign in with your Skype ID.
– Log in with your Skype user account.
– Once you have logged in, you will have to choose what you want to download, that is, conversation and / or files.
– Once you have selected what you want, you will have to click on: Send request.
– You will see a message at the top indicating that a request has been made.
– Depending on the number of messages sent and received, the backup will take more or less time to be available.
– When the backup is available you will be notified by email. Now you will have to go back to the link indicated above to check how a Download button is now displayed.
– Click on this button to check how your backup copy is automatically downloaded.
– This will download a compressed file in TAR format that you will have to extract.
– Inside, you will find the conversations in a JSON format file.
– To view the conversations you must use a tool that you can download from here: Skype backup conversions viewer.
– After unzipping the tool (index.html) you must open it with your Web browser.
– When the interface of said tool is displayed, you must click on the button: Choose file.
– Now you only have to select the messages.json file so that the messages of the chats are extracted.
– Finally, in order for these messages to be displayed in your Web browser, you will have to click on Upload.
– The new interface that opens will allow you to comfortably review your chat history.
Leave a Reply