Irfanview is one of the world’s preferred photo viewers thanks to its lightness, speed and functionality. It is also completely free and is updated relatively frequently to adapt to the latest image formats as well as user needs. However, some user may receive a very popular error such as: “Decode Error! Can’t load plugin: formats.DLL “! Please install or update plugins from irfanview homepage!”.
Related: IrfanView image and photo viewer program for Windows.
Usually the Decode Error! In Irfanview, it usually shows up when we try to open an image or photo in RAW format from any camera, be it Canon, Nikon, etc. This is not really an error itself, but it is due to the lack of the necessary plugins to open these formats or simply because the plugins you have installed are not updated to the latest version.
As we have mentioned, Irfanview is updated relatively frequently and also has several Plugins that allow you to increase the functions of the photo viewer. These Plugins must be installed and updated continuously since if they are not done, you may find yourself unable to open certain image or photo files.
Furthermore, it must be taken into account that another of the most frequent problems is usually the installation of plugins that do not match the installed version, that is, 32 or 64 bits. This is one of the most common failures when the error is displayed:
“Decode Error! Can’t load plugin: formats.DLL “! Please install or update plugins from irfanview homepage!”
Having said that, below we want to show you step by step how to solve the “Decode Error!” that is displayed in Irfanview when we try to open a photo or image on your Windows computer:
How to install or update Plugins in IrfanView and avoid errors such as: Decode Error! Can’t load plugin: formats.DLL
1. The first thing you will have to do is check if you have a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.
2. Once you are sure of the version you have, you should go to the following official Irfanview URL: Irfanview plugins
3. Once here you will find the list of official Irfanview downloads. In this list of downloads you must locate the one that says: IrfanView All Plugins.
Important note: select the one that corresponds to the architecture of your Windows operating system (32 or 64 bits). Also, you can choose between the ZIP or Installer format. We recommend downloading the Intaller version since only the installation / update of the IrfanView Plugins will be limited. If you download the ZIP format you will have to copy the compressed plugins and paste them in the folder: C: Program Files IrfanView Plugins
4. Once the plugins for your version have been downloaded, go to the download folder and double-click on it. This will cause an installation dialog to be displayed.
5. Once the IrfanView Plugins installation / update process is finished, everything is ready. Now check how you can open any photo or image if you receive your error.
Note: It should be noted that when you download the Installer version of IrfanView Plugins, it will cause the installation of all the Plugins in their latest version. If you want to know more details about the Plugins that you will install and what they are for, we recommend that you go to the following address:
– Available plugins and current versions.
Leave a Reply