The Google Drive storage service allows you to store compressed files in Zip and RAR format. However, having ZIP or RAR compressed files uploaded to your Google Drive account does not mean that by default you can work with them. Specifically, you can only open the compressed files and know the list of files inside without being able to open and view them. So, can I unzip the Zip or RAR files from Google Drive to view their content in detail?
Related: How to change the owner of a Google Drive file
The answer is a resounding YES, but as we have mentioned, by default we will have to make use of a small software in the form of a Plugin / Extension.
While Google Drive allows you to view the contents of a compressed file that you uploaded to your account, there is no preview option. Nor will you find any option that allows you to download individual files within a compressed folder. However with the help of a specialized extension you will considerably improve the ZIP and RAR file management options.
If you usually store ZIP and / or RAR files in your Google Drive account and you want to have more control over them and be able to work with them, pay attention to how to take more control:
How to preview and extract ZIP or RAR files stored in Google Drive.
– The first thing you will have to do is download and install the application for Google Chrome ZIP Extractor.
– Once the third-party application has been installed in Google Drive, you must locate a ZIP or RAR file and double-click on it. This will display the content inside.
– As soon as you have double clicked, you will see a list of multiple compressed files contained in Google Drive. Find the zipped folder you need to access. Click on “Open ZIP from Google Drive“.
– This will show a screen in which you must accept access to your Google Drive account by clicking on the button: Authorize ZIP Extractor.
– Then you will have to approve the Google permissions (Allow) so that ZIP Extractor can access your ZIP or RAR files and in this way be able to access and manage those files.
– The selected file will now open in the ZIP Extractor. Here you can do two main things:
1) Preview any of the compressed files inside by just clicking on any of the files.
2) Download any of the files so that they are extracted in your Google Drive account.
– To extract any file, it will be enough to mark the case of any of the tablets, you can also extract them all at once by checking the first box. After marking the files, you must click on the Extract button located in the upper right corner of the window.
– You will be able to view any of the compressed files, you will only have to double click on any of the compressed files shown to display its content. From here you can also save this already extracted file directly to your Google Drive account by simply clicking on the button: Save to Drive.
– If you have any doubts, thanks to this type of extensions we can have greater control over the files stored in your Google Drive account.
Important note: It should be noted that one of the features of ZIP Extractor is that you can also extract password-protected compressed folders. The password will only be used on your computer to open the ZIP file and will never be sent or shared over networks.
Leave a Reply