That Gmail is the most used email service in the world is not something new and not only because it is a free service. Gmial is one of the most customizable email services in the industry, so if you don’t like any of the default functions, surely you can configure it to function according to your taste, such as the position of new messages within an email thread. .
Related: How to unsubscribe from Spam in Gmail (mail)
By default, Gmail sorts email threads in descending order, that is, it shows the oldest first and the most recent last. This means that when you receive a new email message, you have to scroll down, going through all the emails previously received in that thread.
Many users are not happy with this order in the email thread and instead prefer an ascending order, that is, from the newest emails to the oldest emails. This would mean that the last email received will always be displayed first.
Unfortunately, Gmail itself doesn’t offer a quick and easy option that puts the latest messages at the top of a conversation thread. Other email services such as Outlook and Apple Mail show the most recent messages at the top of a conversation thread by default, but offer an option to put those messages at the bottom.
However, although this does not happen in Gmail by default and it is not easy to reverse it, the truth is that it can be done. This is why we want to show you step by step how to make the most recent emails from a Gmail conversation or thread appear first:
How to display the most recent emails first in a Gmail thread.
– The best way to do this is by using the Web extension: Gmail reverse conversation.
– Therefore, you will have to download and install this extension from the official Chrome and Firefox store. You can then click on the link in your browser.
For Chrome: Gmail reverse conversation
For Firefox: Gmail reverse conversation
– After installing the extension, the newest message will appear at the top. As a bonus, the Reply and Forward options will also show up at the top.
The only downside to this extension is that this will only work in web browsers where you have installed the extension. This means that these changes will not apply to the Gmail mobile app.
If you are not using the conversation view, a solution that does not require the use of third-party extensions is to disable the Gmail conversation view. If you do this, then each email in a thread or conversation will appear individually rather than together in that thread / conversation. This is the only built-in option to view the new email received at the top of your inbox.
– To disable the conversation view in Gmail, click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the Gmail website and then select the option: Setting.
– In the tab general, scroll down until you find the option Conversation View in which section you will have to mark: Disable conversation view.
– Scroll down the window to click the button Save Changes.
From this moment on the messages belonging to a thread will be shown individually and therefore the most recent ones always in the first place. However, the messages belonging to the same conversation will be scattered instead of in the same thread.
If you have an Android device it will also allow you to deactivate the Conversation View from the official Gmail application which is shown in the following tutorial: How to disable or enable conversation view in Gmail for Android.
Leave a Reply